Changes to Church Covid Procedures from 25th July 2021
WHAT IS HAPPENING FROM 25th JULY AND WHAT CHANGES CAN WE EXPECT?
Rather sadly the ‘Freedom Day’ on 19th July, which was meant to signal a return to normality, arrived alongside rising rates of Covid infection. This has meant that, because we
have a duty of care to all who attend our chapel, we as Church Officers feel we must proceed
cautiously in implementing the new potential for freedom. We want to make some advances
but also to reassure people that we are being careful, cautious and seeking God’s wisdom as
we go along. This letter seeks to outline what will be the situation if you come to the chapel
on Sunday and also to pick up on one or two other matters which you may have questions
about. We are committed to keep the whole issue under constant review and will update
you of any additional changes.
1. To mask or not to mask? When you come to the entrance to the church do you put
on a mask or not? We are no longer requiring the wearing of a mask but we would
request that unless you cannot wear a mask for medical/psychological reasons you do
continue to wear a mask Sunday by Sunday. If you are not wearing a mask we would
be grateful if you sit towards the front of the church where you are less likely to affect
2. Sanitising We will continue to provide hand sanitizers and would be grateful if you use
them when entering and leaving the building. Again we request not require.
3. The QR Code If you do use the NHS app we will still have the QR Code available for
you to use.
4. We will continue to note who attends the church Sunday by Sunday This serves the
safety of all who attend and means that if we have visitors we will request their
5. We will be making minor adjustments regarding social distancing in church This will
enable a few more people to sit downstairs However for the time being some of the
pews will continue to be roped off.
6. What’s happening about singing? We will continue to use downloaded hymns and
provide a disposable order of service. However, we would wish people to feel free to
sing along – in a restrained way – whilst wearing masks so please do so. We long for
the day when we can all do this far more freely but believe it to be appropriate to
make this change now.
7. We will be removing the screens from the front of the church This is safe to do
because people will remain safely distanced from whoever leads the service or if
someone is leading the singing.
8. Exit arrangements will remain as they are at present at least for the next few weeks
So please remain in your seats following the service until you are directed how to
leave the church.
9. Communion Arrangements We will be continuing with our present arrangements for
the time being.
10. Midweek Meeting The Bible Study and Prayer Meeting will continue as it is each
Tuesday evening. The notes and audio will be available and there will be a Zoom
Prayer Meeting at 8.00pm.
11.After-Service Refreshments These, and the opportunity for fellowship they afford,
have been much missed and we intend to resume these on 8th August. We entirely
understand that not everyone will feel able to stay but believe this is an important
If there is anything you are unclear about please feel free to contact us so we can consider it
in due course. We do welcome your feedback and help in what is a difficult and sometimes
frustrating situation for us all.
Yours in the Lord,
Mike Plant (on behalf of the Church Officers)
21st July 2021